Translate

Thursday, August 29, 2013

76 - Computers Frustrate Me

Computer Error
Remove Hard drive and reset
Insert Money Here

I am not a Luddite, but sometimes the world would be better off without computers.  Today was supposed to be an easy day.  I had an appliance repair person coming to my house today, sometime between 10am and midnight, so I new my day was shot anyways.  I had hoped to get some work done while my daughter was taking her nap and I was waiting for the repair man.

Against all norms, not only did the repair man show up on time, but he took one look at my dishwasher, giggled a few buttons (I had already giggled these buttons, but...), looked at me and said, "Machines Fine, thanks for doing business with me."  Gave me the bill, I signed for it, and he left happy for the five minutes of work and hundreds of dollars that he was going to be paid (mind you, I rent, so...).

I was pretty happy.  What I expected to be a long arduous problem, was done in a jiffy.  So I made my daughter lunch and then put her down for her nap. Life was good.  That is until I opened my computer.

I have a love/hate relationship with this machine.  I know all its quirks (which there are many), and I do not want to learn another computers issues.  This computer will do...most days.  Today was not one of those days.  

First, the internet would not work.  So I puttered around with my modem and after about 30 minutes, it started to work again.  Then my computer fan made a lovely noise that reminded me of a helicopter taking off.  I opened up my Task Manager and I had a million tasks occurring that was taking up 99% of my memory.  2 gigs of memory being taken up with documents.  Readers, this computer is not a gaming computer.  The most tasking thing this computer does is run Excel workbooks.  What in gods name is taking up 2 gigs of memory.  

Fast forward 2 hours.  After cleaning up about 10 gigs of documents, cleaning my temporary files, and removing some programs that I haven't used in 3 years, the computer is once again happy with me...for now.

I do not know what it is about computers that both excite me and frustrate me at the same time.  Computer code is simple and beautiful, but sometimes I believe that it is not written with 1's and 0's as we are led to believe, but rather a series of three consecutive 6's.

So this is to date, my longest post.  I am hoping that more of my posts are like this: a poem featuring either my own musings or a prompt from places like Haiku Height's  and a quick update on my day or feature of my life.

Let me know if there is something specific anyone is interested in.

Thomas


No comments:

Post a Comment