Translate

Friday, September 6, 2013

Haiku Heights Day 6 - #86

Must you educate
Unraveling false knowledge 
Guide the guide-less

Warning:  Their is no poetry past this point.  You have been warned.

Today is September 6.  Today's Haiku Heights prompt is "Teacher."

In the 17 years of teachers, I have had two that have made a difference in my life, and many teachers who have been terrible.  I have never understood why a person in which we place our future in the palm of there hands want to then utterly cripple you as an individual.

Without to much false praise, I am a relatively intelligent individual. When confronted with an individual with less intelligence, I have, in the past, been less than patient with them.  Mos to of my teachers have been that way.  I have been less than patient with them and therefore they and I never saw eye to eye.

That being said, the two teacher that have changed my life were Mr. Aleccia, my high school english teacher for three years, and Dr. Tom Nash, my linguist professor.  Both of them challenged me to be beter than I was.  I do not think that either of them really know how appreciative I and many like me are to their guidance.

And I think that is the difference.  The teachers that failed me tried to teach me something, the ones who were successful guided me on the path to knowledge.

Let those of you who are teachers, want to be teachers, stop teaching and start guiding your students.  Be the mentor instead of the educator. 

I do not mean to insult anyone with my musings. If I have, I beg your forgiveness.

Till tomorrow,

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment