Translate

Thursday, September 19, 2013

Rough Couple of Days

An eternal myth 
Struggling to comprehend
Come, Sweet Death, Come home.
 
Warning:  There is no poetry past this point.  You have been warned.

Today is September 19.  It has been a rough couple of days. 

Saturday and Sunday, September 14th and 15th I worked on my daughters Halloween costume. I have a love/hate relationship with sewing.  I am a moderately okay tailor.  I can sew seams, and materials, and for the last three years I have made my daughters costumes: Princess Leia and Boo from Monsters Inc.  This year, the costume has defeated me.  I am making Rainbow Dash from My Little Ponies: Friendship is Magic.  I have completed her pants, shirt, and started on her mane and tail.  And here is the problem.

The mane and tail is made of fleece.  This fleece is unforgiving, so every time I make a mistake I have to do it all over again.  Frustrating to say the least.  So, on Saturday I put my daughter down for the night, got out the sewing machine, scissors, and clear thread(I didn't want to have to change colors every time being that the mane and tail are rainbow hews) and started to build the mane first. 

My wife had designed the pattern, and I cut out the pieces and pinned them together.  As I started to sew the mane, a couple things happened: the bobbin thread broke, the pins did not hold the piece together, and part of the fleece got wrapped around the foot.  I pulled out the piece, snagging parts of the fleece and tearing it, fixed the bobbin and rethread the machine, and proceeded to cut out pieces again because of the torn material.

Cut the pieces, and it happened again.  This continued until 2am, at which point, I screamed and called my machine a series of inappropriate names and I believe I hinted at its mother promiscuity.

The next night, I changed thread to a stronger thread first.  I also didn't work on the mane.  I finished the tail that night, but it was so late I decided to wait until monday to post again.

Monday, my wife gets a text from her mother.  My wifes grandfather just had two heart attacks and we need to get to him to say our good byes.  So that night, I put my wife and child into the car and we drove until 2am to make sure she was with her grandfather.  That was monday/tuesday.   I had to go back to work on Wednesday and drove the four hours home just to drive another four hours to meetings last night. 

I am tired.

Today will be the last haiku I post until at least a couple of days.  I hope I can post one tomorrow, but I just don't know.

Till later,

Thomas

No comments:

Post a Comment